➡ Existing participants LOG IN
Accessible, Flexible, Interactive
Learn at home, in your own time, with interactive contact with other learners and your tutor Caroline Aitken. This 6 month course has a rolling start date and project work can be submitted in your own time within the 6 month course. This makes it highly flexible for people with busy lives.
Take the whole course, or just the modules that interest you. Click on the modules below to find out more:
Based on the successful residential Sustainable Land Use course, this online study opportunity offers you all of the content at an affordable cost and using your own land or local landscape as your outdoor classroom. So you can easily put everything you learn into practice in a way that’s useful and meaningful to you, step by step.
If you have your own land, whether garden, allotment, woodland or farm, you can use it for the site of your projects, making the course particularly relevant to you. But this is not necessary and any land in your locality which you have access to can give you a rich learning experience.
The online Permaculture Design Course is certified by the Permaculture Association of Britain. This is a qualification recognised by the permaculture community internationally.
This course is for you if:
- You want to work with the land in a sustainable way or
- You’re already working with the land and would like to increase your skills
- You wish to study sustainable land use and find it difficult to attend residential courses, for whatever reason
- You want to learn permaculture design and earn a PDC certificate
Will I miss out on the interactive, personal element of a residential course?
During the course there are many opportunities for two-way interaction with your tutors and with other course participants via an online forum, email and live web sessions. So you will have the opportunity to ask questions, share experiences and exchange useful tips as you make progress.
The course includes:
- a wealth of information in text, images, films and presentations
- recorded webinars with a variety of well-known and inspiring tutors
- tutor support throughout your study
- many practical activities embedded in the course material
- links to a wide range of additional content on the internet
- a range of practical projects which you can undertake, with personal feedback from your tutor
- a forum where course participants can share ideas and experience
Click here for a sneak preview of one of the many films which are included on the course.
Working With Your Own Land
The practical, outdoor element of the course is provided by specific projects.
- observation projects, in which you find examples of what you’ve learnt from the course in the actual landscape
- design projects, in which you take your learning a step further by working out new ways of working with your land, more efficiently, more productively and more sustainably
- research-type projects in which you explore further information which is particularly relevant to you
The course is in two parts. In the first part there are four modules:
- The Soil
- Organic Horticulture
- Sustainable Forestry
For more information on these modules please click here.
In the second part there’s just one module:
- The Permaculture Design Course
This is the internationally recognised course, certificated by the Permaculture Association of Britain. It builds on the information in the other modules and adds that special element which is unique to permaculture. It contains about three times as much material as any one of the other modules. For more information on the Permaculture Design Course please click here.
The prices for individual modules are:
For the Permaculture module – £300
For the whole Land Course Online – £550.
To book onto any of the modules or the whole course begin by creating a user account on the website:
www.elearning.patrickwhitefield.co.uk then email: firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss payment and enrollment.
“The lesson materials are the best I have seen so far.”
– Maranke Spoor
“I am very grateful for Patrick Whitefield’s online courses and their interactive format. [The course] has given me greater confidence to put the things I learned from this course into application and set out on my own.”
– Rita Khawand
“I have enjoyed Patrick Whitefield’s Land Course Online immensely. It offers a comprehensive education in sustainable living and horticulture. The information within the five modules is invaluable both to a domestic situation and field scale production.”
– Andrew Astle
“The Land Course Online, including the Permaculture Design Course, was great value for money. The material is well structured, challenging and interesting and it is easy to access and navigate around the site. The online discussions and conferences provide for interesting interaction with others. The course allows time to work at your own speed and to dig deeper into areas that particularly interest you.”
– Jenny Methven
“The LCO and PDC was a great learning experience for me. It offered me the chance to learn as and when I could and also with the seasons. Caroline was a fantastic tutor and really took the time to give constructive feedback on projects. I would recommend this course to pretty much everyone and anyone!”
– Lyn McLardy